Please see more information about this training series at https://library.rice.edu/donuts
This free workshop series sponsored by Fondren Library will provide hands-on training in the basics of organizing, documenting, analyzing, and visualizing your data. Come learn and enjoy free donuts!
These courses are not part of the Data and Donuts series but are relevant for those working with data.
DMC Short Courses
GIS Data Center Short Courses
General Data Management Workshops
- Cleaning Messy Data with Open Refine (on request– contact email@example.com)
One of the major components of research is collecting and understanding data. In the past, this was primarily a concern for the sciences, but as the so-called Information Age continues to produce vast amounts of knowledge, the ability to acquire, ‘clean’ and synthesize data becomes a necessity for researchers of all disciplines. This short course presents a beginner-level introduction to such techniques using Open Refine (formerly Google Refine), a powerful open-source tool for cleaning messy data.
- How to Manage Your Data (on request– contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
Drowning in data? Not sure how to organize and back it up? This hands-on, interactive workshop will share tips for effectively organizing, documenting and storing research data. Participants will walk away with ideas for completing a data management plan and storing/ backing up their own data.
- Writing an Effective Data Management Plan (on request– contact email@example.com)
Nearly all federal agencies now or will soon require grant applications to include data management plans (DMPs), and many grant panels are placing greater emphasis on these plans in evaluating proposals. How can you write a data management plan that will pass muster with funding agencies and will ensure that your datasets are easy to find, use, preserve and share? In this hands-on session, co-facilitated by representatives from the Office of Proposal Development and Fondren Library, participants will critique a few sample data management plans and identify elements of effective ones. We will also demonstrate the DMPTool (an online template for creating DMPs) and highlight some key data management resources at Rice.
We are also happy to provide customized training sessions for research groups and centers.
Online Training Materials
Claire Osgood (Kinder Institute’s Urban Data Platform team), Data Management Seminar (November 2017)
- Data Management Overview
- Data Management Architecture
- Data Management Processing
- Data Management Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- Data Management Audit Trail
- Data Management Documentation
- Data Management Resources
- CEHI Naming Conventions Guidance
- CEHI Statistical Analysis Guidelines
- Example Codebook 1
- Example Codebook 2
- Example Processing Document
- Program Checks
Data and Donuts Workshops, Fall 2017
- Organizing and Sharing Data [slides]
- Finding, Accessing and Citing Data [slides]
- Storing, Backing Up and Archiving Data [slides]
- Cleaning Data with Open Refine [workshop materials]
- Using Spreadsheets to Manage and Analyze Data [slides, handout]
- Data Management Essentials slides (pdf)
- How to Manage Your Data slides, June 2017 (pdf)
- Writing an Effective Data Management Plan slides, March 2016 (pdf)
- How to Succeed in Managing Research Data [aimed at graduate students, but broadly relevant], November 2015 (pdf)
Other Relevant Workshops
We also recommend these training resources:
- University of Minnesota Data Management Course
- Penn State Data Management Plan Tutorial
- DataOne Primer on Data Management
- New England Collaborative Data Management Curriculum
Request a Workshop
To request additional workshops or consultation services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.