- Know the guidelines for your grant program.
- Assign responsibilities for managing data.
- Understand what types of data you will be producing and the approximate volume.
- Budget for research data management; the NSF, for example, allows reasonable costs related to implementing the data management plan to be included in the budget, if justified.
Grant Agency Guidelines
- Department of Defense
- Department of Energy
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- DMPTool offers agency-specific templates to generate ready-to-use data management plans. Rice is a member, so you can log in using your netid and password.
- Rice SPARC guidance on Data Management Plans
- Data Management General Guidance (DMPTool)
- Reviewer’s Worksheet for NSF Data Management Plans (Columbia University Libraries)
- DataOne Example Plans
- Sample Data Management Plan for Depositing Data with ICPSR
- Sample NSF Data Management Plans (UCSD)
- Public Data Management Plans (DMPTool)
- Data Management Sample Plans (UNC Odum Institute)
Writing a proposal? Need help writing a data management plan? Contact the Data Management Team at email@example.com. We will review draft plans.